Uova al Purgatorio
- ½ cup marinara sauce, made with fresh or canned tomatoes
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- A couple of leaves of basil, slivered
- 1 to 2 eggs
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 or 2 slices country bread
- Bring the marinara sauce to a simmer in a small saucepan or an 8-inch omelet pan and turn the heat to low. Add the cayenne, if desired, and the slivered basil.
- Break the egg or eggs into a teacup, and carefully tip them into the tomato sauce. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until the tops of the whites are set but the yellow yolk shows through. It’s important that the yolk be runny. Turn off the heat. Season the eggs with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle on the Parmesan.
- Serve in a wide soup bowl, on top of the garlic toast or with the toast on the side.